Tuesday, February 26, 2008

How Far? pt.2


The other night I was in Auburn checking out a new church plant and having dinner with a friend. Over dinner my friend and I were talking about creating the lifestyle of time with Jesus in a chaotic day. He was telling me of his days when he was doing mission work in Sudan. A normal day for him consisted of taking prayer walks, reading scripture, mission work, then more reading before he went to sleep. He started talking about the simpleness of those days and of how nourishing it was to his relationship with Christ. Jonathan Edwards, a well know pastor in the 1700's was also known for retiring from his office to spend the afternoon hours strolling in the woods and talking to Jesus. So the question we have to ask ourselves is this - Are we controlling our schedules, or are the schedules controlling us?
"for my people have committed two evils:
they have forsaken me.
the fountain of living waters,
and hewed out cisterns for themselves,
broken cisterns that can hold no water" -Jer. 2:13

1 comment:

JBL said...

Agreed. This is a constant struggle for me.