Monday, August 13, 2007

Halls and Inner Rooms, thoughts from C.S. Lewis...


"It is more like a hall out of which doors open into several rooms. If I can bring anyone into that hall I shall have done what I attempted. But it is in the rooms, not in the hall, that there are fires and chairs and meals. The hall is a place to wait in, a place from which to try the various doors, not a place to live in". C.S. Lewis "Mere Christianity"

It is certainly worth the time to think about how we do church these days. I have had many days in Bible College where I was excited to poor over many different theological thoughts and views, trying to see why one certain group believed this and one group believed that. Although, I am still learning a whole lot about my own theology and other people's theology I have come to be much more interested into how our theology plays out in church, more importantly a "worship service". I find myself always wanting more and more of a certain mid-week service that will "recharge my batteries" and will hopefully last me till Sunday as if walking through the week hand in hand with the Lord was not enough. Obviously scripture brings out the point of the importance of the fellowship with the body (1 Corinth. 12:12). However, it seems that sometimes I find myself depending on a one-stop worship service to be my Church or body for that entire week, forsaking the service to a real Church and body where my service must be placed. It might be that Lewis is trying to show an example of what happens when we depend so much on a service alone, a song alone, or even a certain sermon alone to be our main "meal" of the week. Not that we do not grow from a service, podcast, or event, but it seems that just one time of worship during the week or weekend is not a main meal but rather a late afternoon snack. Lewis says, "we are not to live in the halls", meaning that our dinner table to where we feast with the living Christ is not just in a one time event with our favorite worship leader and entertaining speaker. Maybe the inner room that contains a fireplace, chairs, and a meal is found in the commitment to the local church where there is a body of believers and discipleship. I will always visit and sometimes sit, and even learn in the hallway, but it is the inner room where the main meal will always take place.

~JP~

No comments: