Friday, March 9, 2007

The Life of Jonathan Edwards


"Once as I rode out into woods for my health in 1737, having alighted from my horse in a retired place, as my manner commonly has been, to walk for divine contemplation and prayer, I had a view, that for me was extraordinary, of the glory of the Son of God, as Mediator between God and man, and his wonderful, great, full, pure and sweet grace and love and meek, gentle condescension..... which continued, as near as I can judge, about an hour; which kept me the greater part of the time in a flood of tears, and weeping aloud." J. Edwards

"He (J. Edwards) had an extraordinary love for the glory of God in nature. The good effects of this love on his capacity to delight in the greatness of God and on the imagery of his preaching were tremendous, Jonathan Edwards preached the way he did because of the man he was and the God he saw!" - John Piper

I pray that you and I would be gripped by the view of God as Edwards saw and expeirenced in his life on a daily basis!

No comments: